System Administrator (m/f)
Please note that this job offer is kept for documentation purposes only
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. is a non-profit association that aims at advancing free knowledge. We support projects creating and spreading free content. One of the most important projects is Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia. Wikimedia Deutschland has a fast growing office with 48 members of staff in Berlin.
The Toolserver is a very successful project providing an infrastructure in which volunteers and projects can develop and run tools connected to Wikimedia projects. The Toolserver thus is an essential contribution, e.g. for improving the quality of Wikipedia articles, for easier editing or for statistical evaluations. Technically, it consists of servers with replicated databases of all Wikimedia projects, of web servers on which tools can be made available and of login servers with bots and user scripts.
This structure that has grown for years is now reaching its limits for various reasons, which is why migration to a new system is being envisaged. however, the current Toolserver structure will have to remain operational and provide high quality service for at least another year. To ensure the smooth running of the toolserver, Wikimedia Germany is looking for a
system administrator (m/f)
as a part-time employee or a freelancer; remote work or work from Berlin office (50%)
Role and responsibilities:
- general infrastructure operations and system administration, including server installations and configuration management,
- maintenance, problem identification and resolution,
- communication with users on mailing lists, IRC and the bugtracker Jira,
- support of projects, e.g. the possible future migration of servers, services and/or infrastructure
- no hardware operations in the data center
- relevant hands-on experience with Unix/Debian Linux,
- advanced level experience with operations,
- you are comfortable with a shell and bash scripting,
- experience with MySQL cluster administration,
- knowledge about data privacy,
- compliance with policies,
- basic knowledge about network administration on the protocol layer,
- you are patient,
- experience with a highly collaborative environment with volunteers and self-organized groups, e.g. online communities,
- ability to work in a decentralized team,
- excellent English language skills
Desirable skills and experience:
- a very good knowledge of the German language is a plus,
- basic knowledge of the Puppet configuration management software (or the will to learn it),
- experience with Solaris (or the will to get into it)
What we offer:
- the possibility of actively contributing to one of the largest free knowledge projects world-wide
- choice of the place of work, remote work or a modern office in the center of Berlin
If the idea of free knowledge inspires you and if your qualification allows for it, we are looking forward to meeting you. Please submit your application including supporting documentation (CV, certificates, details of your salary expectations and starting date) to jobs(at)wikimedia.de.
Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or other opinion, sex, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.
This job description is also available in German.