Engineering Manager (m/f)
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With about 100 employees and more than 50.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of more than 40 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
As an Engineering Manager (m/f) at Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. you support engineers and designers who build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. As experienced and hands-on Engineering Manager you enable our communities to achieve our Vision: A world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You will join our Software Development Department in our office in the heart of Berlin where we work on Wikidata, a free collaborative, free licenced database to store the knowledge of the world. We are also developing technical products & features for the german speaking Wikipedia. You’ll support teams that work on exciting open source technologies like Wikidata Query Service. Our Software Engineers are working on ambitious projects like Wikidata, the Technical Wishlist or the local Fundraising.
Our development teams are cross-functional, self-organizing and highly autonomous. They work directly with the Product Owner and our community.
As an Engineering Manager, we’d like you to do these things:
- Organize teams to be effective in meeting their goals
- Develop goals and track progress publicly and collaboratively
- Represent team members within the organization and publicly
- Coordinate with other teams and departments and take care of agile engineering processes
- Support your team’s members to develop their individual career paths
- Recruit and hire new team members
- Write code for our products and projects with our Developers and Engineers
We’d like you to have these skills:
- BS in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in work experience
- 3+ years’ leadership experience in the internet industry
- 1+ years’ experience managing a software engineering team
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- 3+ years of experience working in an agile software development environment
- Experience managing a geographically distributed software engineering team
- Experience with search technologies
- Experience with open source software development
We are offering you
- We have internal presentations by our developers on topics they are enthusiastic about.
- You can attend local user groups during work time and are encouraged to do so.
- You will have a noticeable impact on the top five visited websites in the world.
- We regularly go to conferences, both as attendees and participants.
All software we develop is open source, we also contribute back to various projects we use, including some of the ones listed above. Many of our components are also published in a format that allows reuse outside of our own projects.
Interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills? Please apply anyway! We are open to both supporting learning on the job and rearranging tasks within the team to suit the skill sets of the best applicant.
To begin your application, please contact email@example.com
Additionally you can find all information about Jobs & Products of the WMDE Software Development and Engineering Department in english here: https://software.wikimedia.de/
Due to the team-based selection procedure at this position, your application documents will also be passed on to selected future colleagues.
Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or other opinion, sex, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.